Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween

Halloween, for me, has metamorphosized over time.  As a kid I looked forward to dressing up every year.  I still remember our inflatable skeleton and drawing on pumpkins.  We generally didn't carve pumpkins.  When I was a youth I would have 3 or 4 costumes for one season.  In college I denounced the whole thing as an evil tradition.  After a year or two I realized that if I threw my own parties I could control the atmosphere and activities.  Soon I was full fledged into haunted houses and creepy decorations.  I used to peruse Martha Stewart magazines looking for fun Halloween decoration ideas, themes and costumes.  I hosted a Halloween party every year for the Dallas-Ft. Worth Young Single Adults.  I continued that tradition when I moved to Salt Lake City. 

So, when I first got married I turned up my nose at Doug's plastic jack-o-lanterns and orange lights.  I wanted everything to be authentic.  I avoided anything that looked mass produced.  I excitedly decked the house out all spooky for the neighborhood kids.  This was the first time trick-or-treaters would come to my house.  We did that twice.  We even offered tastes of brain (jello) to some of our young friends. 

Now, as a mother, I've come full circle.  I actually like Doug's decorations.  I'm tired.  Rachel isn't old enough to care about Halloween.  In fact, if it is too creepy it might scare her.  I currently do not plan on turning our house into a haunted mansion again until the kids are older or we decide to throw a party.  Of course if I find a hidden supply of energy I might do it again for my neighbors.  We had quite a few ask us about it this year.

So where do I stand on costumes?  I have been a witch almost every year for a decade. The only deviation was last year when I had been dieting and could put on my formal dresses.  Last year I was a princess.  I love dreaming about costumes.  I love the idea of dressing up for one night.  I just have a hard time getting past my own weight issues.  A far too common thread in my world.

Halloween 2010 was all about Rachel.

5 comments:

  1. Funny, this year I caved to the mass-produced outside decor for the sake of my kids. I realized that they'd get excited over other peoples' yards, but not ours. They didn't get the "grown-up" humor. And with our party I didn't go all out like I usually do (covering all the walls/ceiling in black, cobwebs, specialty creepy food, nothing "hokey," etc). Turns out we had a great time anyway! Where dreaming up the decorating/food used to be MY entertainment, when it turned into a stress and chore, I finally decided to keep the focus on what makes me happy. This year, it was just being with friends & seeing my kids get all excited over our light-up ghosts.
    BTW, miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you decorated your house this year. We were hoping to make it to your house to trick or trick, but the kids were tired before we made it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Net I miss you too. I wish you lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Angie We're sorry we didn't see you. But, at least you didn't miss out on our non-haunted house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when Kira was a Sunbeam and we brought her over. I was amazed at how you had gone all out. But I totally get how after you have kids, your priorities change. When Rachael gets older, you will have fun decorating again because she will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete